45 easy ways to detox and spring clean your body naturally by focusing specifically on healthy habits, detoxing the gut, skin, lungs, liver, & more!
Happy April! It’s time for some spring cleaning, which is why today, we’re going to be chatting about different ways to detox & spring clean your body naturally! Spring is the perfect time to give your body a good detoxing or an internal reset, as we leave behind the cold winter months & approach warmer days! I think everyone, this time of year can benefit from a little reboot, so today I’m going to be walking you through 45 easy ways to spring clean your body naturally by focusing specifically on healthy habits & detoxing of the gut, skin, lungs, liver, colon, & more!
Before I get into it, I wanted to mention a book I’m reading called The Lucky Years by David B. Agus, MD. Although I’m not done with the book, Agus, has mentioned multiple times that people don’t invest in the future of their health because they have a hard time seeing themselves in the future. I was honestly shocked when I read about a study he conducted where it was found that an extremely high percentage of people thought they had peaked & didn’t believe they would grow or change at all in the next ten years. Agus questioned whether or not this limiting mentality prevented people from making necessary changes today in order to better their lives & or health later on down the road.
Well I’m here to tell you that if you find yourself with the same mentality of questioning if something you do today will make a difference years later, I’m here to tell you, yes. Yes it will. There is no better time than the preset to start making changes towards a better & healthier life.
Honor your body & your future self, by helping it today!!
Use the idea of spring time to catapult this idea of new life, new habits, new thought patterns, & a healthier you! Invest in yourself & your body! In order to do so, I put together a variety of ways to assist you along this process of detoxing your body in a gentle, natural way as we move through the reminder of Spring!
How to Spring Clean Your Body Naturally
DISCLOSURE: I am by no means a medical professional. I write based on my own experience, knowledge, & research. This blog or post, is not meant to replace medical advice given by a licensed professional.
Although our skin is the only organ mentioned on this list found outside of our bodies, it’s definitely still VERY important because it’s our largest detoxifying organ, so it needs tending to, like all the others!
- Make sure to drink a lot of water – add fresh lemon or chlorophyll to help flush out toxins
- Drink 8-16oz of celery juice on an empty stomach first thing in the morning
- Limit & or cut out diary, since it’s extremely inflammatory for the skin
- Cut back on refined sugar
- Dry Brush 3-5 times a week
- Opt for a clay mask to help draw toxins out of the skin…be sure to check out this mask specifically
- Switch to an all-natural deodorant
- Swap out your current makeup & skincare for cleaner, safer options – read why I love Beautycounter here!
Our lymphatic system is responsible for so much…it’s critical for a healthy immune system & is able to help our bodies filter through toxins & drain fluids! The lymphatic system can sometimes become a bit lethargic & may need an extra push to stimulate that desired lymphatic drainage, which is why I’m such a fan of dry brushing!
- Dry Brushing is one of the best ways to stimulate lymphatic drainage…shop my $8 dry brush here
- Opt for a lymphatic drainage massage
- Use a jade roller on your face
- Drink plenty of water throughout the day
Our gut microbiome is SO important. Gut health has a direct relation to our mental health…whatever you feed your gut, you feed your brain. Gut health is so crucial when it comes to the longevity of our health & disease prevention.
- Try to eat plant based for at least 2-3 meals a week
- Cut out inflammatory foods such as gluten, dairy, & refined sugar
- Start your day with room temperature water with lemon to alkalize the gut
- Introduce a probiotic or prebiotic – I like this probiotic from Ancient Nutrition (use code MADIROWAN20 for 20% off your first order)
- Reduce stress when possible – check out this post for ways to reduce stress naturally
- Eat slower & spend time chewing mindfully
- Relax & make sure you are getting enough sleep
- If you aren’t plant based, consider adding collagen into your diet, whether it’s in a supplement form or bone broth
Our liver plays an essential role in our health. It’s able to convert nutrients into fuel but when you have a fatty or toxin-ridden liver, which is very common, it can be very detrimental to your health by causing things like autoimmune conditions, acne, fatigue, high blood pressure, IBS, & weight gain, just to name a few. The liver is one of our smartest organs, so it’s essential we support it & help aid in its detoxification!
- Add a fresh piece of ginger to your morning water
- Drink celery juice – it helps to detox the liver & can help dissolve gallstones (source)
- Avoid eggs, milk, cheese, vinegar, excessive salt, & pork since they all wreak havoc on our liver
- Limit intake of processed foods, processed meats, hydrogenated oils, & refined sugar
- Look into herbs such as milk thistle, turmeric, or dandelion for liver support
- Focus on liver healing foods such as arugula, apples, dulse/kelp, broccoli, celery, spirulina, walnuts, beets, grapefruit, & asparagus – be sure to check out my go-to spirulina smoothie recipe!
Obviously, our kidneys help eliminate waste from our bodies, so it’s important we are hydrated in order to help along those elimination processes.
- Use a ginger compress on your lower back to help draw out toxins from the kidneys
- Focus on kidney supporting foods such as grapes, berries, cranberries, seaweed, leafy greens, & sweet potatoes…be sure to check out my Black Bean & Sweet Potato Stew for a great plant based dinner option
- Drink a kidney-cleansing tea such as dried nettle leaf
- Make sure to drink a lot of water
- Avoid alcohol, caffeine, & processed foods
Our breath is so vital for our being & most days, we don’t even think about it! We breathe in toxins, fumes, smoke, & allergens on a daily basis. Sometimes our lungs just need a break!
- Invest in an air purifier
- Change filters if you already do have an air purifier or something similar
- Spend time outside
- Avoid smoking & or breathing in smoke
- Ditch the artificial air fresheners
- Make time to focus on your breath & try some deep breathing exercises
- Add essential oils like Tea Tree, Peppermint, or Eucalyptus into an essential oil diffuser
- Avoid mucus causing foods like dairy & processed meats
- Exercise & move your body frequently
- Look into adding air-purifying plants into your home
It’s important to focus attention on the colon, or large intestine to make sure everything is running smoothly, if you know what I mean!
- Make sure you are drinking plenty of water
- Add a probiotic into your routine
- Try drinking herbal teas such as peppermint, ginger, camomile, licorice root, & slippery elm
- Schedule a colonic (I’ve never gotten one, but health & fitness guru Melissa Wood of Melissa Wood Health swears by the occasional colonic! – And if you don’t know…I’m obsessed with Melissa, she’s amazing.)
I hope this list of 45 ways to naturally spring clean & detox your body puts you in the mood for some internal spring cleaning! It’s so important to naturally support our bodies by feeding them with nutrients from whole foods, being mindful, & taking care of ourselves…inside & out! Toxins accumulate over time due to a variety of reasons, so now that it’s spring, let’s focus on gentle detoxing & bringing in the new!
Happy Spring Cleaning!