This amazing gluten free & vegan spirulina smoothie has been a game changer within my morning routine! It’s full of plant based protein & keeps me full for hours!
If you follow me on IG or have read some of my other blogs posts, specifically my at-home workout post, or both of my current favorites posts, you probably remember me mentioning a NYC health & fitness guru, named Melissa Wood – creator of Melissa Wood Health. I SWEAR by her workouts & a few of her recipes including her spirulina smoothie! I put my own little spin on her smoothie recipe & it’s completely changed my morning routine. I’m beyond obsessed with it!
I go through phases where I don’t necessarily like having a smoothie for breakfast but I’ve been pretty much sticking with this spirulina smoothie since May & I have it about 6-7 times a week! This smoothie is amazing because although it’s insanely filling, it doesn’t feel heavy or upset my stomach – which is always a win in my book!
P.S. Spirulina is very easy to digest! 🙂
You can find Melissa’s original smoothie recipe HERE – mine is definitely made with similar ingredients, but I’ve tweaked it a bit to better fit me, what I like, & what works best for me! Feel free to do the same!
The best part about this smoothie is of course, the spirulina itself! I’d never used spirulina on it’s own until this past May when I first started drinking this smoothie. Now that I’m plant based, it’s important that I make sure I’m getting enough plant based protein & it just so happens that spirulina is one of the highest forms of plant based protein out there! There aren’t too many things healthier or more nutritious than spirulina!
Spirulina is a nutrient-dense superfood, high in protein, iron, calcium, antioxidants, beta-carotene, & also contains anti-inflammatory properties. As with any supplement, you want to make sure you are using a high quality spirulina. I found a brand called SoulFresh Proteins at a local health food store & it’s been my go-to for spirulina ever since! SoulFresh Proteins is New England based & sustainably harvests their non-GMO, blue-green algae in deep water reactors in their greenhouse.
Spirulina has immense health benefits as well. I truly believe having spirulina every day in my morning smoothie has made a huge difference in my gut health, hair growth, & skin, after months of struggling with acne & scarring. Below are just some of the benefits of this amazing superfood. You can shop the exact spirulina I use here!
The Amazing Benefits of Spirulina:
- Extremely nutrient dense
- May have anti-cancer properties
- May help with nasal allergies such as nasal dripping, sneezing, & congestion
- Increases muscle strength
- Can help stabilize blood sugar, especially for individuals with Type 2 Diabetes
- Boosts metabolism
- Boosts absorption of minerals
- Improves gut health & is easy to digest
- Helps with candida (yeast) overgrowth in the gut
- Lowers cholesterol & blood pressure
- Counteracts pollutants in the body, including heavy metals
- Great for people struggling with anxiety or depression
- Decreases inflammation
- Tones the skin & encourages cell-turnover rate
- Helps with hair growth & hair strength
- Rich in fatty & amino acids
Amazing right?! So here’s my go-to morning smoothie recipe!
Spirulina Smoothie Recipe
- 1 tbsp ground flaxseed
- Large handful of organic spinach
- 1 pitted date
- 1/2 cup coconut water
- 1 cup filtered water
- 3/4 cup frozen blueberries
- 1/2 of a frozen banana
- 1/2 cup of frozen (& peeled) cucumber
- Dash of cinnamon
- 1 TSP of maca powder or adaptogen of choice (optional)
- 1 heaping TBSP of Spirulina powder
& then just blend it up! You can click HERE for the Vitamix blender I use ( & swear by)!
This smoothie keeps me full for hours & overall, just makes me feel amazing, energized, & focused. I promise that you need it in your life! Are you a fan of smoothies? Let me know your preference in the comments below!