Here’s why you might need a good armpit detox using Bentonite Clay! Also sharing a DIY armpit detox mask recipe to help draw out toxins & reduce body odor!
Last year, around this time actually, I published a post all about switching to an all-natural deodorant. I’ll touch more on that later, but in the post, I mentioned how some people may experience detox symptoms & may need to do an armpit detox. The natural deodorant post has grown to be one of my top 5 most popular posts on the blog, so I figured I’d do a follow up & talk about what it means to actually go through an armpit detox!
I bring up “detoxing” because people panic when even the smallest of odors start occurring after they switch from an antiperspirant to a clean option! And believe me, I get it, I’ve been there, along with many others! But stick with me! There’s a perfectly good reason for the smell!
Your body is DETOXING!
Think about how many years you’ve relied on your Secret antiperspirant to stop you from sweating through your shirts? Probably quite a few years! And if you are unfamiliar, conventional antiperspirants prevent our bodies from going through natural sweating processes by blocking our pores with harmful ingredients, such as aluminum.
So when you make the switch to a natural deodorant, the pores found within your armpits are finally able to breath! And think about it, after years of blocking them, there’s quite a lot of junk that has been built up! Give it time too! Detoxing will look different for everyone. Some many experience irritation, itching, rashes, an increased smell, or your lymph nodes may even feel a bit tender!
For me personally, my body is going through a whole different type of detoxing. You may have read about my decision to cut out animal products & to follow an intuitive plant based diet. This decision alone, causes major detox symptoms, such as acne, frequent urination, increased body odor, difficulty sleeping, headaches, poor digestion, mood swings, & flu-like symptoms! Thankfully, I’m not experiencing too many of them, but I am experiencing an increase in body odor, which is another reason I wanted to discuss the topic of armpit detoxing!
Detoxing, no matter what from, can always be a bit challenging & it’s where most people quit or decide to go back to what’s easy. But in regards to antiperspirant detoxing, I sure would prefer to stink a little more than usual, rather than slather aluminum-based deodorant right on top of my lymph nodes.
Even if you weren’t to change anything else regarding your routine, I would especially urge all women to at least consider making the switch to an all-natural deodorant. With breast cancer rates skyrocketing through the roof, the last thing any woman needs to do is to use a product with endocrine disrupting chemicals on such a delicate area.
Armpit Detox Bentonite Clay Mask
I want to share with you a fantastic way to help your body along with the detox process! This detox armpit mask is so simple to make, only takes 15 minutes, & will be so beneficial in assisting your body draw those toxins out!
- 1 TBS Bentonite Clay – I use Redmond Clay, but any Bentonite Clay works!
- 2 TSP Purified Water
- 2 TSP Apple Cider Vinegar – Make sure it contains “The Mother”, I use & love Braggs!
- 3-5 Drops of Tea Tree Essential Oil
- Combine all ingredients in a bowl, make sure the bowl isn’t metal!
- Whisk together, until it forms a smooth consistency! Use a plastic or wooden utensil, not metal!
- Apply the clay mask to your armpits. You can apply it with your hands…I personally like to use a face mask brush!
- Leave it on your armpits for 15-20 minutes!
- Wipe off with a warm cloth or jump in the shower, which is what I do! So much easier!!!
Helpful Information about the Bentonite Clay Mask:
- Avoid using metal utensils/bowls because metal actually reduces the healing capabilities of the clay!
- Bentonite Clay is an extremely absorbent clay that has the ability to bind to bacteria & toxins, in this case, bacteria & toxins in your armpit pores!
- Apple Cider Vinegar has anti-bacterial properties, helps balance your pH levels, helps clean out any junk, & assists your body with regulating bad bacteria!
- Tea Tree Essential Oil has wonderful antimicrobial properties & is wonderful for a multitude of skin conditions!
- Redness may occur after you wash off the clay mask. Don’t be alarmed, this is due to increased blood flow to the area where the clay was applied!
Benefits of the Bentonite Clay mask
The more frequent you apply the Bentonite Clay mask on your armpits, the more you will see results or a decrease in body odor! Aim for once a week & take it from there!
- Helps draw out toxins.
- Helps reduce body odor.
- Boosts lymphatic drainage.
- Gets rid of hormone-disrupting buildup from years of antiperspirant use.
- Assists in the transition to using an all-natural deodorant.
If you take away anything from this post, please consider making the switch to an all-natural deodorant. There are SO many harmful chemicals found in your average deodorant. I get it, they work. But is the harm they are potentially causing worth it? In my last post on deodorant, I went over every “common” ingredient & their potential dangers. As I’ve said before, the information is there, it’s just up to you to decide what you want to do with it!
Would you try this armpit detox mask?